We will compare Shark Vertex and Apex upright vacuums in this post to help you make an informed purchase.
- The Shark Vertex AZ2000 series includes AZ2000, AZ2002,AZ2002C (when I write this post).
- The Shark Apex AZ1000 series, including AZ1000, AZ1000W, AZ1002, AZ1002C, AZ1002BRN, is the predecessor of the AZ2000 series.
Below are some differences between Shark Vertex and Apex upright vacuum cleaners, if you are deciding between these two vacuum series, the information below may be helpful to you.
- Brush Design
This is the biggest difference between them. The Vertex features flexible silicone fins to replace the bristle brush on the Apex. Shark claims that the so called PowerFins dig deep into carpets and engage floors directly, it helps pick up more dirt, debris, and pet hair in every pass than the bristle brush.
The Vertex has only LED headlights on the nozzle whereas the Apex has LED lights on the nozzle and handle.
The lights on the handle is useful when you use the accessories to clean low light spots. If you are one of those who love the lights on the handle, go for the Apex.
The Vertex headlights are at the center of the nozzle whereas the lights on the Apex are on the sides (at front).
- Bin Size
The Vertex has a larger dust container. It holds up to one quart while the bin capacity of Apex is 0.88 quarts.
The Vertex is a bit larger and heavier than the Apex.
- Power Specs
The Apex power specifications are 1350W,11.3amps.
The Vertex power specifications are 1344W,11.8amps.
Except for the above differences, they are similar:
- Powered Lift-Away: allow you to release the canister and use the motorized nozzle to clean carpets and hard floors, this is useful when you want to vacuum under furniture; the lift away feature is also convenient when doing above floor cleaning, you can detach the pod and use the hose with accessories to clean stairs, counter tops, ceiling fans, etc.
- Dual Brush Rollers: 2 brush rollers to tackle both hard floors and carpeted surfaces.
- Self Cleaning Brushroll: Shark claims that the self cleaning brushroll technology actively removes hair with no wrapping issues when you vacuum.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology with a HEPA filter capture 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum, this is good for people who suffer from allergy and asthma.
- Active-Glide Technology: maneuver smoothly on both hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction.
Comparison Chart of Shark Apex and Vertex
|Shark Apex AZ1000 Series||Shark Vertex AZ2000 Series|
|Power Specs||1350W, 11.3A, 120V,60Hz||1400W, 11.8A, 120V,60Hz|
|Dust Collection Type||Bagless||Bagless|
|Capacity||0.88 quarts||1 quart|
|Powered Lift Away||Yes||Yes|
|On/Off Control||on the handle||on the handle|
|Surface Options||3 settings: Thick Carpet/Area Rug, Carpet,Low Pile, Hard Floor||3 settings: Thick Carpet/Area Rug, Carpet,Low Pile, Hard Floor|
|DuoClean||Yes, a bristle brush roller and a soft roller||Yes, a roller with flexible silicone fins and a soft roller|
|Self Cleaning Brushroll||Yes||Yes|
|Suction Control||No separate control||No separate control|
|Anti Allergen Complete Seal||Yes||Yes|
|Pile Height Adjuster||No separate height adjustment||No separate height adjustment|
|Hose||5.5-foot hose||5.5-foot hose|
|Headlights||on nozzle and handle||on nozzle|
|Weight||17.1 pounds||16.38 pounds|
|Warranty||5 year limited warranty||5 year limited warranty|
(L x W x H)
|11.2" X 12.2" X 46"||12" X 15.09" X 46.25"|
Some questions and answers:
- Can you turn off the brush rollers when vacuuming hard floors?
No. There’s no brush on/off control. If you turn on the machine, the brushes only stop when the vacuum cleaner is in upright position.
- Can you adjust the suction level?
There is no control to adjust the suction only. However, there are 3 surface settings to provide different levels of suction power.
- Can you adjust the height of the brushrolls?
They have 3 floor settings for hard floors and carpets, however, there is no control to adjust the height of the rollers.
- Do they have automatic cord reel?
No. You have to wind the cord manually.
- Do they have HEPA filter?
- Are the filters washable?
- Are they dual voltage, do they work on 220 volts?
- Can you turn off the headlights?
No, the lights cannot be turned off.
- Do they use bags?
No, they are bagless.
- Do they use belts?
Yes. They use belts to rotate the brushrolls.
- Where are they made?
Made in China.
- Shark AZ1002C vs AZ2002C
The Shark AZ1002C and AZ2002C are versions sold in Canada, otherwise, the Az1002C is the same machine as AZ1002 and the AZ2002C is the same as AZ2002.
Color and accessories may be different.
The AZ1002C is in Espresso, includes:
12″ Crevice Tool,
Pet Power Brush.
The AZ2002C is in Rose Gold, comes with:
Pet Crevice tool,
Self-cleaning Pet Power Brush.
For othe difference between Shark AZ1002C and AZ2002C, you can read the comparison information on the Shark Apex and Vertex within this post.